TEN INDOORS PLANTS THAT ARE ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO KILL

Monday, April 4, 2016




I must confess something: I am a planticide. There are no herbicides stronger than me. But I adore plants!  Over the years, I have been figuring out (not before killing some of them) what kind of plants are the best for people like me. I also checked personally the resistance of many of them to be long periods of time without being watered and in low light conditions. It took me a couple of years, but I finally have live plants at home!

That’s why I wanted to share with you guys the ten plants I find more resistant and, if you are not very good at taking care of them, like me, you are going to love a new green space without too much effort. Because I think a house doesn’t feel totally a home until you have this green spaces around you.







Monstera (Philodendron): a very beautiful plant with giant heart shape leaves. It requires quite a lot of light, but has a good adaptation to low-light conditions. It doesn’t require too much water. Easy or not? 

Musa banana. This is the perfect tree for climates with high temperatures. It loves the sun and has no problem with direct light.It needs to be watered once a week. 

Snake plant (Sansevieria Trifasciata): the almost-indestructible-plant for excellence. I have to confess I felt terrible when I killed one of these, that people told me it was indestructible. However, I bought another one and followed the wise advice of my mom. Doesn’t matter if it has high or low light and it has to be watered once every few weeks and...that’s all! Easy, right? Another good thing about it: if you cut a piece of the leave and you plant it in a pot, you got another snake plant!

ZZ Plant (Zamioculcas zamiifolia). What I like the most about this plant is how bright and shiny is. Is very hard to kill. ZZ is a plant of warm climate, so it has no problem with high temperatures and plenty of light.

Dracaena. There are around 50 species of this genus, and all are beautiful. Just put it in a bright place with indirect sunlight, because otherwise the sun can burn the leaves (my experience). It has to be watered regularly, but not too often.  

Spider plant (Chlorophytum Comosum). Well known as air purifying at home, this plant can last many years with a minimal maintenance. Plus, it’s very easy to have more of them: just cut the ‘daughter plant’ and place it in some water or soil, so you can grow a new one!

Lucky Bamboo (Dracaena Sanderiana). The best about this plant is that you can place it in a vase with some water and forget about it. Just remember to have a look occasionally to make sure it has enough water. It needs a place with enough light, and if is kept in the shade the leaves turn yellow and dry.

Pothos. This plant requires a very low maintenance (yay!) and survives very well in lowlight places, as the bathroom or the kitchen, although the ideal is to have it in a place with plenty of indirect light. I can also assure that does not require much watering. It is also known for its ability to clean Carbon Monoxide from the air.

Aloe vera. It needs a good amount of sunshine, no matter whether directly or indirectly. It is advisable to have it in a large pot because it grows quite fast (at least mine!). I can assure you that it can spend long periods of time without being watered and it holds fresh and lusty! It is always great keeping an Aloe vera plant close, so in case you got sunburn or any other skin irritation, you can cut off one of the leaves and use the juice from within to treat the problem!

Boston fern (Nephrolepis exaltata). The fern is a subtropical plant, so it needs a good amount of humidity. You can put it near a window, where the fern can receive the rays indirectly. We must keep well wet, so if your climate is very dry, maybe is not the best option.


 

2 comments:

  1. I have spider plant in the house & you're right, they are so resilient! :]

    // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you can almost forget about it, and it will survive anyway! :):)

      Delete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS